7 Foods To Help You Keep Going
June 28, 2017
If you are the kind of person that keeps a busy schedule and is always on the go, then having enough energy to complete each task on your to-do list is a must. If you have not found the right foods to keep you going, here are some that you should consider:
- It is no wonder that the Minions are in love with bananas because it helps them going. Bananas are packed with natural sugars and carbohydrates that can be easily broken down by the body to make it usable energy. It is also for this reason why you will see bananas in a lot of athletes’ bags. This fruit is also rich in fiber, which encourages steady energy levels. This means that you will not feel a sudden energy crash if you add banana into your diet.
- This fruit is very rich in monosaturated fats, which is the kind of fat that you want to be digested in your body. Monosaturated fats are converted to usable energy, instead of having it stored in the skin or the liver. Avocados are also rich with different b-vitamins, which are essential when it comes to providing you an energy boost. And just like bananas, they are also rich in fiber.
- Dates. Dates may not be a favorite of the many as it is high in sugar, but this kind of sugar is not the same as the one found in sodas and candies. The sugar found in dates can be converted into usable energy, which makes this fruit a go-to meal when you want to give yourself an energy boost. It is also high in fiber, which will help maintain your energy level.
- Spinach. You may be familiar with spinach, especially if you know Popeye. A meal with spinach is very helpful to people who are experiencing fatigue. People who are fatigued may experience different kinds of vitamin deficiencies. And as a result, don’t feel energetic. With spinach, you will be able to supply your body with the needed nutrients that it requires. Spinach is rich in potassium, magnesium, and electrolytes. With its electrolyte content, your body will be able to produce the energy that it needs.
- Raw Almonds. Raw almonds are rich in healthy fats, fiber, and protein. These nutrients are great when it comes to providing your body with the energy that it needs. Almonds can also help prevent vitamin deficiency that may be the cause of your fatigue. Consuming or mixing raw almonds to your drinks or meal will also help you relax as it is rich in amino acid tryptophan, which is a natural relaxing agent. This will help get rid of your body and mental fatigue.
- Oranges. Oranges are a known source of antioxidants. Eating oranges will help rejuvenate your body as it is also a natural energy booster. It is full of nutrients that will also help prevent fatigue. This fruit is also rich in fiber, which is very helpful when it comes to keeping your energy level constant.
- Watermelon is known to be a good thirst quencher, especially in the summer. Not only will it help quench your thirst, but will also help increase your energy. The reason behind this is that this fruit is rich in b-vitamins that are needed to produce energy. It should also be noted that watermelons are high with electrolytes that will keep fatigue at bay.
4 Reasons Why You Should Never Skip Breakfast
February 8, 2017
Ever heard anyone saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Ever wonder why they claim so?
People does not only say things like this just because they see you skipping breakfast all the time. It is actually a fact that 18 percent and 13 percent of males and females (ages 35 to 54) skip breakfast on a daily basis. This is according to a market study conducted by NDP group in 2011. This may happen because most of these men and women have busy schedules that they forget eating breakfast at home or prefer not to eat anything before going to work. But, this should not be the case. If you want to skip a meal in a day, breakfast should not be it.
Here are some reasons why you shouldn’t skip breakfast:
- The risk of diabetes in women. There is a possibility of increasing the risk of diabetes in women if eating breakfast is skipped. This is according to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The study has revealed that women who skip even one breakfast meal in a week are at a much higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Women who eat breakfast everyday has lower chances of developing one.
- Lower chances of heart disease. Eating a simple breakfast meal can go a long way. A study published in the journal Circulation suggests that men between the ages of 45 and 82 has lower chances of developing heart diseases if they eat breakfast on a daily basis. If you skip breakfast, there is a higher risk of hypertension, an elevated level of blood sugar, and insulin resistance.
- Eating breakfast boosts memory. The American Dietetic Association reviewed 47 breakfast-related cases and found out that men and women who eat breakfast have higher cognitive functions compared to individuals who skip it. This means that eating breakfast will make you think faster on your feet. Eating breakfast definitely is a smart move to make!
- It can help you lose weight. If you don’t really like eating big breakfast, then it is time to have a change of heart and start liking it. One study published in the Obesity journal has shown that big breakfast eaters can lose to an average of 17.8 pounds in the span of three months. That is not a value that you can just ignore. In the study, other participants were told to eat the same recommended amount of calories in a day. However, they eat most of the calories in the evening. The participants who ate most of the calories at dinner only lost 7.3 pounds in the same number of months. That is 10 pounds heavier than the other group. This could be associated with the fact that most of us don’t work and exert a lot of effort at night. Instead of spending the amount of energy that has been taken, the calories are stored in the body overnight.
As you can see, there are different health risk factors associated when you skip breakfast. Maybe it is time to change your routine and have big breakfast meals on a daily basis, rather than skipping it every day.
Eating Your Way To A Healthier Weight
December 16, 2016
Contrary to what is being practiced and what is done by individuals who want to lose weight, it is not necessary for anyone to sacrifice eating in order to obtain a more favorable weight. Eating is an integral part of anyone’s daily routine to fuel any activity. This is true, not only to those working a laborious jobs or those who are not in a diet, but also for those who are trying to lose weight. However, if you know how to eat and what to eat, then you would not worry about gaining your lost weight back.
What You Should Eat
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables. If you are not much of a vegetable or fruit eater, then it is time to break that habit. Adding fruit and vegetable to your diet will help you in losing weight. If you can’t stand the sight of vegetables in your meal, you can always hide it in plain sight. To have this done, you can have your vegetables pureed and mixed with your usual meal. Research shows that if you add vegetables in your meals, you can easily shed off some pounds because it will automatically cut down your call calorie intake. Vegetables add bulk to your meal. It makes you eat the same amount of food, but it will not make you gain weight because you are replacing your calorie intake with vegetables.
To make your meal look appetizing and exciting to look at, you can always add fruit to it to add color to what is on your plate. Bland looking meals are not so appetizing and appealing. If you are on a diet, you don’t have to sacrifice flavor. Fruits will surely make your meal look more appetizing. You can also add beets, yellow pepper, and fresh produce to your meals to make it look more appetizing.
Fiber-Rich Foods. In addition to adding fruits and vegetables to your meal, you should increase your fiber intake. Foods rich with fiber will make you feel full for a longer period of time. This means that you will not have to eat as frequent as before. This also means that you will not have to grab something to eat in between meals. More often than not, people gain weight from eating unhealthy snacks. Speaking of which, you should get rid of your unhealthy stash. If you want to grab a snack, it is recommended that you eat fruits instead. For a fiber-rich diet, you can start your grocery list with beans, apples, bananas, blueberries, orange, pear, almonds, bran cereal, oats, and the list goes on. If you don’t know a lot of fiber-rich foods, you can easily ask Google to help you out.
Say Goodbye To Your Smoothies and Shakes. Instead of buying smoothies and shakes to fill your stomach on snack times, opt for something that is healthy. Generally, smoothies and shakes are high in calories. However, if you know how to make a healthy smoothie, then by all means make yourself one. If you don’t have time to make a smoothie, you can always grab an apple to keep your stomach fed. A useful bit of information: chewing will tell your brain that you are eating something that is substantial. Thus, eating a whole fruit will make your brain tell your stomach that it has been filled. Taking smoothies and shakes does not have the same effect as eating whole fruits.
Eating Fruits High With Water. Eating fruits with high water content is recommended. Why is this so? Doing so will make you feel full faster. This is the reason why drinking water every time you take spoonful of your meal will make you feel full faster. That is also one trick that you can do to lose weight, but it is not always the same as eating the right food. Studies have shown that people who eat fruit or vegetables with high water content have low BMIs or body mass indexes. Fruit and vegetables with high water content will make you feel full for a long period of time, thus stopping you from eating as much. You may start eating watermelon, which is 92% water, or grapefruit, peaches, and cantaloupes when you feel like eating something in between meals. However, you should also remember that some of these fruits are high in sugar. Thus, you should also watch how much you are eating of these fruits on a daily basis.
The tips mentioned above are some of the many ways that you can do to eat your way to a healthier weight. Other things you can do to lose weight can be easily found online. However, when following tips, you should always be vigilant and do more research before acting on it.
A Nutritionist’s Guide to Healthy Eating
November 22, 2016
A healthy, balanced diet is essential in maintaining good health. Contrary to popular belief, it’s not exactly hard to get into a healthy diet. The key is eating a wide range of food items so you get all the nutrients your body needs and consuming the right amount of calories based on your normal activities. Below are practical tips for healthy eating.
- The FDA recommends that we consume 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day – at least. It might seem overwhelming, but if you slowly incorporate them into your diet, you’d barely even notice it. Start by eating a banana with your meals, or substituting them for snacks.
- Canned or frozen, fish is high in protein and many vitamins and minerals. In a week, try to consume at least 3 portions of fish. Make sure to also add oily fish into the mix; these are rich in omega-3 that will keep your heart healthy.
- It might sound absurd but fat is actually good for the body – that is, the right kind of fats. Stay away from unsaturated fat as this can increase the cholesterol levels of your blood, putting you at a high risk at developing heart disease.
- Consuming too much salt increases your blood pressure. You might think you’re leading a salt-free diet, but remember that many of the food items in the market today has high sodium content. Thus, you might still be eating a relatively high-sodium diet.
- You might not realize it but your body might be suffering from mild dehydration because of low water intake. Make sure that you take in at least 1.5 liters of water in a day. Stay away from drinks high in sugar because they have high calorie content and is damaging to the teeth.
- Many people who want to lose weight have a tendency to skip breakfast, believing that this will save them calories. However, this actually has the opposite effect. A balanced breakfast will supply you all the necessary nutrients to sustain you throughout the day.
Take to heart the tips above and start incorporating them into your daily routine, and see a big, positive difference in no time. Remember that having good health is all up to you; and whatever you eat and do will be very evident in your physical body. Talk to your health provider for more tips for a healthy diet and a healthy body.